Wednesday 14 March 2012

European Popularity in Cycling Track (III)


Tom Simpson remembered:
Our mechanic and general runner was David Nice, an Englishman from Colchester, who was not unlike me in a way, for his nose appeared to be, profile view anyway, very similar to mine (poor lad!) and I hit on the splendid idea of putting him out on the track in my place during the neutralized period. Track suited a scarf over the lower part of his face and a Russian hat that I had bought completed the disguise. He was me to anyone giving a cursory glance at the figures plodding round the track. The get-up was quite in order for it become very cold there at night as they used to turn off all the heating. Everything went well for the first night of the wheeze and I congratulated myself on the plan. It could not go on forever, though, worse luck, for on the very next night the game was up. Dave was trundling round wrapped up to the eyebrows as before when, horrors upon horrors, the track manager, who often rode a bike round himself during the quiet time, started to talk to him.
He thought it was me at first and chatted away quite happily to Dave, who’s French, was near enough non-existent. Well, it was not long before he sensed something was wrong and whipped the scarf off the poor lad's face. He stormed over to my cabin and dragged me out, half asleep, on to the track. That was that! He and the other officials kept their eyes on us after that and we had little chance of getting away with any more larks like that.
Olympic Cycling Track Fans can purchase Olympic Cycling Track Tickets from Sport Ticket Exchange at lesser rates. Sport Ticket Exchange is a single point which offers you Olympic Tickets for all sports and events especially Olympic Cycling Track Tickets at affordable price. You can also buy or Sell Olympic Tickets at Sport Ticket Exchange and Olympic Tickets Resale is much easy and secure on Sport Ticket Exchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment